Post Reply  Post Thread 

How much is the cheapest wireless network card to get Internet anywhere?
chrisssteeven
Junior Rockhound

Group: Registered
How much is the cheapest wireless network card to get Internet anywhere?

What company offers the cheapest wireless Internet adapter thing that you plug into a USB port on a laptop so you can get Internet wherever you get cell service? Also can you access any webpage through these things or is it just a e-mail sort of deal? I mainly would just use it to play a favorite flash web-based MMORPG (Evony) and to check e-mail/research stuff.

r4 revolution
02-10-2010 04:00 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Bolen Consulting
Senior Rockhound

RE: How much is the cheapest wireless network card to get Internet anywhere?

All of the major carriers offer Air Cards, which is what I'm assuming you are looking for.

Also if you have a smart phone like a blackberry or Iphone you can tether it to your computer and use it as a modem for wireless internet.

The air cards that I have seen are between 35-50 dollars a month and just like a cell phone they work better in some places than others.

If I were you I would ask around the rig to find out which phone carrier works best and heck you might even find out that the mud engineer or some of the other service hands use air cards daily to send in their reports.

Which ever phone company gets the best service in the area you are drilling in, check them out.

If you are a 1099 employee you can write off the air card as a business expense if you have no other way to file reports, not sure if you can write it off if you just want to play games between samples though :P

03-10-2010 06:16 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
manikertamang
Rockhound Member

The most cheapest USB wireless internet device can be found in a market in just $50.

06-21-2010 06:37 AM
Scooter
Rockhound Member

Most rigs have internet, you could simply plug in a router, then take a 100' cable and run it to your trailer. The cable is cheap, just have to roll it up when you're done.

We have done it with Pason Systems and others. Pason is slow, kinda like dial up lol.

02-06-2011 10:51 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: