Post Reply  Post Thread 

Poll: feel free to post new answers in thread.
absolutely.
no way, stick to the prog.
if directed by engineer.
keep prog top but list your opinion.
[Show Results | Edit poll]
picking tops
samplerock
sample_rock

Group: Administrators
picking tops

Hello, i just wanted to post a poll.
Should Loggers/geo pick tops?

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.....

http://www.myspace.com/painter22

12-24-2006 02:34 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
sysmokey
Junior Rockhound

Group: Registered
RE: picking tops

It depends on the area and the experience someone has in the field. It sort of just became standard for me to pick tops. But I only designate as such if it was obvious. There are some formations where you can pick the tops accurately, due to drastic ROP, WOB and Gas curves, and lithology. I do this for the Rollins top and the Cameo coal zones. Then, there are other formation tops that are too inclusive to pick a top, of which I be sure to state Prog Top, (pick not determined). Such is the case with picking the top of the Williams Fork Formation (Vega Reservoir Area of the Southwestern Piceance Creek)

Does anyone have any pointers or clues regarding picking the top of Williams Fork Formation?

Thanks,

Sy

12-24-2006 11:24 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
samplerock
sample_rock

Group: Administrators

I havent had the oppertunity to view the Williams Fork Formation. I like your post. ive allways heard of Loggers being told to stick to the prog. I tend to at least give an opinion. Some Operators tend to get a little jumpy if you claim they were wrong. hehehe. Thanks, Troy.

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.....

http://www.myspace.com/painter22

12-26-2006 03:35 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
oilman29
Junior Rockhound

I say pick the tops if possible because a geologist usually listens to the loggers opinion until they run e-logs and if your a little off at least you tried. Of course picking tops in the gulf coast area is pretty easy

09-30-2007 12:16 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Myra
Master Mudlogger

I was taught to always pick tops. That's your job. I've know loggers who were geologists that wouldn't pick a top unless that's where the prog said it was. Guess they never worked in a faulted area. I had one relief hand who was used to pancake geology pick the top in a directional well where I told him to look for it. That was a good one to explain to the company geologist.

10-04-2007 08:44 AM
miahnelson
Rockhound

Hell yes you pick tops. Of course I am Master Mud logger’s son, and was trained by her. However, geo picking the top should be easy in most locations. Office geologists should expect a 20 foot variance either up or down from your top. Any experienced mud logger with experience in an area, should be able to pick a top within 20 feet no matter where they are. Any logger working a horizontal well where they are running gamma, should be able to pick the top within 2 feet.

When Learning a new area, attempt to pick the tops based on the Prog, information from other loggers, information from the wellsite geologist, drillers with experience in the area, directional drillers with experience in the area, MWD hands with experience in the area, or maybe leave a post here with your api number. I'm sure that eventually there will be enough people active on this forum to make online help feasible. Make sure to stay in contact with the wellsite geologist after they run elogs to see how close you were. 3-4 wells in most areas I've worked is more than enough to consider yourself "experienced" in the area. 10-12 wells, and you should be able to geo pick tops in a given area with your eyes closed.

10-23-2007 05:49 PM
vargoje3
Rockhound Member

I've only been logging for a month and i'm already picking tops. Its not difficult if you know what to look for. The only problem is the damn oil company geologists keep pestering me all the time wanting to know what we have been drilling through. I've picked the "N" shale a couple times and also some core points through some particulary good oil bearing sandstone. I told the company geologist what depth i thought it was but she went ahead and drilled 15 more feet.......well it was where i though it was so we lost 15 feet of good core.

11-03-2007 12:18 PM
miahnelson
Rockhound

RE:  picking tops

vargoje3 Wrote:

I've only been logging for a month and i'm already picking tops. Its not difficult if you know what to look for. The only problem is the damn oil company geologists keep pestering me all the time wanting to know what we have been drilling through. I've picked the "N" shale a couple times and also some core points through some particulary good oil bearing sandstone. I told the company geologist what depth i thought it was but she went ahead and drilled 15 more feet.......well it was where i though it was so we lost 15 feet of good core.

Office Geologists will always doubt a mudloggers pick if it doesn't sync with their data. Spend a few jobs proving yourself, and eventually they will begin to trust you.

11-04-2007 01:56 AM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: