Post Reply  Post Thread 

1 Votes - 5 Average   Ash
Perry_Clark
Rockhound Member

Group: Registered
Ash

Anyone who works in the Texas Region, is not new to ash. But I ran across some about a month ago that is very cool. As we all know, ash will not react with cold HCL. But it will lite up like a christmas tree under the black box. My icon is a picture of the ash that I am talking about. The ash is mixed with sandstone. Very fine layers were seen in the scope, like it would appear flky, or plty. I was thrown off for a second because of the granular texture of the sample. HAHA After running several tests, it was conclusive that I was looking as ash inbedded with sandstone.

Does anyone esle see this kind of ash in other regions?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-20-2007 08:40 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
samplerock
sample_rock

Group: Administrators
RE: Ash

Wow, that is interesting. What formation is that out of...era...

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.....

http://www.myspace.com/painter22

09-20-2007 07:20 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Perry_Clark
Rockhound Member

The formation I observed the ash in, is the Austin Chalk, in Live Oak County, TX. This was a horizontal well. We were right at the top of the chalk, and the Eagle Ford. This formation gave us multiple problems. Not to mention, we were drilling under balanced the whole time. No mud cap.

This was not a show. No odor. No cut. No heavies. Chlorides stable. Background gas was stable. From the look of the samples, I think there was too much compaction and cementation to have anything in it. I actually had to break the sample with great force. Although, we did find oil across the shakers about 1000' later. But the ash was not present. Great well for the Conoco Group.

09-21-2007 06:59 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Perry_Clark
Rockhound Member

Yup, you are right on the money WTW. The ash is a seal. Now on guys, There has got to be something observed in all you mudlogging days. Please, share it with me. I have been tripping for the last 5 days, and need some input. Thanks..

09-25-2007 02:20 AM
Bolen Consulting
Senior Rockhound

The Ash above the Eagleford Shale is your last chance to save the drilling company some serious heartache!

The Eagleford is a non-calc, dark black shale that LOVES to swell up and get rigs stuck... it is our absolute nemesis while doing these horizontal Austin Chalk wells.

In the area of the Austin Chalk that I'm logging now (Grimes County) there are small (1/4" to 2 foot) stingers of Ash all throughout the Austin Chalk section and they are generally a orange or amber color and are peppered with pyrite.

There is a good marker formation that we call the "Ash Marker" just below the top of the Austin Chalk, it can often times be used to correlate the thickness of the AC section and allows the geosteering team know to get more aggressive if it is cut at a very steep angle.

The further down you get in time the better formed the pyrite nodules within the Ash and the Ash also gets darker and less translucent.

I've never seen ash embedded with sandstone, and I've never seen it that light in color either!

I'm sure I would be taken aback by seeing that under the microscope as well.

Very cool find! And congrats to Conoco for making a well!

03-10-2010 06:01 PM
samplerock
sample_rock

Group: Administrators

Great info!

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.....

http://www.myspace.com/painter22

03-19-2010 05:58 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
peter0505
Junior Rockhound

Cool  RE: Ash

Guys, we recently drilled 2 wells in De Witt County in EagleFord shale with a lot of problems. In first hole we’ve got stuck twice and second got stuck also and didn’t even reached planned TD. 3,000’ shorter we set production casing. I’ve been told by numerous “experts” and lab’s guru’s that ash has nothing to do with it. I heard opposite theories that ash has flowing properties and can stuck the pipe really fast. Other suggestion are to back up, pump cement plug and start sliding again.
Any comments on this gentlemen????

This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 04:59 PM by peter0505.

04-26-2011 08:57 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: