Post Reply  Post Thread 

Hello loggers
Joseph77840
Junior Rockhound

Group: Registered
Hello loggers

My name is Joe. And Ive been logging for about four years. I started out working in Wyoming with GeoSearch. Working coal bed methane wells. And if you don't know those are some quick wells. Over in about 3,500'. It was a great experience though! The country was such a change from Texas. I didnt get there untill the wintery months of August!!! But everyone a GeoSearch was happy to teach me the ropes. After about six months they took me off of my sample catching dutys and put me on as night logger on a core job around Casper, I belive. I haven't worked a core job since, but what an experience. I loved it. Working shoulder to shoulder with a geologist from Anadarko. That was a huge chance to learn about formation changes and evaluation. Not to mention getting in tight with a geologist. But at that time I didn't really know how important that was. Then after a few more jobs around that beutifull country side I was told that the office in Texas was needing hands with experience. And since that is where im from I thought that it would be a good idea if I go and work some jobs a little closer to home. When I started in Texas is was like completely starting over for me. Not only was the geneology diffrent but the equiptment and safty reqirements too. So I stuck with it for a couple more months, untill I found out what they were paying roughnecks in Texas. And thats when I go dollar signs in my eyes. It wasn't long before I started work with Nicklos Drilling as a floorhand. It was a small, double, work horse of a rig. Thats where I learned about rig mechanics. I started with a pretty layed back crew. At this time there was a new driller who was related to a crew on the other side. The whole crew! He was working with them before he was moved up to a drillers position. Well my father was the one who helped push for me to get the job with this company. Yes, I know! Im a second generation in the oil business. And at the time he was a company man for Chesapeak. And he didn't think that driller was going to be the safer choice for me to be working around. And thats when he decided to throw me to the wolves. One month later I was pulled from one crew and put together with that other crew I was telling you about. That crew worked incredably fast together and on my first day I was willing to do anything in order to keep up. It was the summer time in east Texas. And we were coming out of the hole at 10,200'. I was working the hell out of worm corner for the first 8 hours But after about 3:00 I was starting to get hot. But for some reason I just told myself that I could make it. Needless to say by 5 I was dizzy ready to get off. But so was everybody else, and they didn't want to hear any comaints. So because they were getting tired they picked up the pace in order to get that last hour to rush by so they can get into that shower and get off location for while. I did what I could in order to keep up but by 5:55 the next I was pulling the slips and the next thing I knew I was being helped down the stairs to the toolpushers house. They told me I had passed out from heat exaustion. I was so embarrased. But I did my best for that day and I wasn't about to give it up. Eventually after 8 months of working with that hard core crew, I was trusted with a trowing chain, and keeping up with the pumps. I was proud of my accomplishments and was ready to take on some new positions. But everyone on that crew had been following that same driller for 15 years or so, and always had their spots. So I was in a rock and a hard place. But I was good at what I did and didn't want to quit. So I just started to pick up pieces of other positions that weren't just main part of the jobs. Just for a change of pace and to make the days go alittle quicker. Just as I was starting to learn the derick mans tanks and how to mix and pump sweeps I started to realize what a death trap this rig really was. And it was the crews that held the rig together. One day, at the last day of our week on, we had caught trips four times that week. And the driller was just tring everything in the book to make that bit drill untill we got off. And he just made it, we were pumping a slug when the other tour came on. I was covered in barr and my relief was the first to come on. So I couldnt wait to hit the showers. I get home, and my father gives me a call telling me that they made a wiper trip to check the mud motor before they came out for a bit change. And three stands out of the whole the blocks parted from the kelly. It droped 183k lbs onto rig floor the driller lost his fingers on his left hand and the man in worm corner got smashed into the derick leg. After an extensive investigation by OSHA it was deemed a mechanical failure. But I was already looking to go back to mud logging. The man working the worm corner when I left turn out to be alive. But e was in the hospital with broken ribs and a fractured femure. An angel was waching over him. And I had a whole new appreciation for mud logging. And thats when I went to work for Compulog Systems. And I have to say that was the best company i've had the pleasure to work for. It was a small company, but they took very good care of their hands. With good eqiptment and day hands that knew how to run things its a wonder I ever left them. But I made the mistake of moving to Diversified Well Logging. All smoke and mirrors. with computer that frezze up and fail, to inacurate day loggers, and backstabing mudlogging games it a wonder that companys as big as it is in Texas. But Im not going to knock that company any more than I already have. And I think that my intro is to long. But im glad I found this site and if yall want to chat more please email me.

10-29-2007 11:07 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
vargoje3
Rockhound Member

RE: Hello loggers

Joe,

You didn't break out for 6 months???? I was sent out on my first well w/ only 2 weeks of training and it was piss poor at that. Being able to self teach has been a real asset. Sometimes the company men give me crap but i just let em know i'm new to the business.

11-03-2007 12:03 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
THall
Junior Rockhound

Hi Joe !! Small world for sure, I started with Compulog a little over a year ago. I agree they r good people. The only problem iI have with themis there doesnt seem to be alot of work. I dont have th experience they say to work in Franklin, and they dont seem to be getting much work any place else. I dont know but i kinda think maybe th deal in Franklin has to do with th arrangements in th apartments they have down there. If anyone has any suggestions on work or availability I would appreciate it. I like what i do..but i'm not making enough to live on right now. So I'm haveing to consider other fields at the moment...is this problem just mine or r others not working also. So glad i found this site...everyone have a great New Years !!! Tina

12-28-2007 03:48 AM
samplerock
sample_rock

Group: Administrators

Joe, Good to see you here and good that you did not get hurt with that incident. These rigs can be very scary. Usually its not mechanical its human error. So where are you working now? I think the oil field has slowed down some and I dont know what the future outlook is going to be like, with the elections and all. Welcome to the Forum...Troy.

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.....

http://www.myspace.com/painter22

02-13-2008 07:59 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Hossus
Junior Rockhound

Hey all,

Well I've been at it for about a year now and have found my experience to be very personally rewarding. Worked on a lot of different rigs Bronco, Ambercrombie, Saber, Titan, Ensign, Cheyenne, Gulich, Patterson, Duke, etc.. for a bunch of different companies. Talked to and have met a quite a few different Geologist. Have worked straight hole wells and spent the last few months working deviated wells w/ MWD drillers. Spent most of my time working in Oklahoma in Hugoton embayment areas. But have worked in KS and TX as well. Having a Earth Science background has been a big help especially when talking to Geos.

Earth Tech O.G.L. Inc., has been very good to work for and they have gone out of their way to make the process a good one to learn in. I feel I have a broader experience working for them than if I had gone with someone else. They have a pretty tough screening process though and are very particular about who they hire on, which I think works to their advantage in the long run. If your interested let me know as I can get you in touch with our Company Rep.

Be safe out there, Troy

troy@earthtechmudlogging.com

02-21-2008 09:22 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: